Replies

• Check IKEA boxes. I got boxes from them that hold my 18x24 prints nicely. I'll try to add a link later.
    • You mean these? http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/20222665/ They work great for storage of my 16x20 photos with 20x24 mats, but not so much for transport, they're kinda flimsy and the lids barely stay on sitting on the floor.

I think someone else posted on another part of this thread, or it may have been a different one, but these Really Useful Boxes are, as their name indicates, really useful. The 70 and 145 liter sizes fit 20x24/26 nicely with room left to actually get the prints out. A couple other may work too. http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/usa/
    • Sounds good Alison. Are they plastic? I have framed pieces that are as big as 27x33 so I would need them to fit that.

• Here are the photos of how I put together a set of storage tubs large enough to handle 24x30 canvas prints and framed pieces. The first one is the finished set, and as you can see, it's a fairly good size. It's about 34-35 inches tall inside as a 36 inch tall framed piece I had needed not quite 2 inches more to close. It should be no problem for 32 inch tall pieces.

301680320?profile=original

It's made from two 31-gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck tots. The lids are attached together face to face after using a box knife to cut out the center. I've used Liquid Nails on some smaller tubs, an 18 gallon and a 12 gallon tub from Rubbermaid to attach the lids together. On this one, and two others, I just used Gorilla tape and it works like a charm. Here's a couple of views of the lids seen from the inside. The tape also holds the two lids together attached to the bottom tub. The vertical sections of tape wrap around the outside and overlap underneath the bottom lip of the tub and over the top to the inside of the top lid. This middle connector does not come off, it's intended to be part of the bottom tub. The second tub just slips on "upside down" to become the new lid. The old lids become a connecting ring to hold it all together.

301681094?profile=original

301682094?profile=original

If you have trouble figuring out what was cut out, it was the flat part of the lids.

I can stack 9 Gallery wrap canvases in the tubs with a little room left over. For canvases, the first one on has the back to the outside and the next one is face-to-face with the first one. The third one is back-to-back with the second one. This keeps any hanging hardware from causing damage to the adjacent piece. The ninth one needs a piece of mattboard or Foam-Cor to cushion the face of it from the inside edge of the connected lids. Here's the loaded tub with the "lid" off;

301682885?profile=original

The Rubbermaid 18 gallon and 12 gallon tubs are just wide enough for an 18 inch wide matted piece or a thinner metal framed piece. You could use different sizes for taller pieces as they have a 15 gallon tub that is halfway between the 12 and 18 gallon tubs. 

• Pure genius!  Thanks for taking the time to share a great tip.  

• Robert, 

Thanks for the link to the photos of your containers. That is going to work for me. Genius!

Chris Roche

• very clever!! awesome idea!

• That looks nice and solid, but at roughly 19x20x34 it would at best be very tight with a matted 16x20, since the mat size would be somewhere from 20x24 to 22x28, 24x28, or even 24x30. Now, if it was an 11x14 print matted to 16x20, that's a different story -- you could probably fit about 120 of those in there.
    • For 24x30 and 20x30 canvas prints I use two 31-gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck totes joined together. I can get 9  1.5 inch thick gallery wrap pieces in each package plus a thin poster frame. I use three of these combination tubs, and they fit across the back of the van, a Ford E-350, behind the front seats with just enough room to slide some Propanels between them and the driver's side. I could take some snap shots of them tomorrow when I empty the van out and show them filled up and some detail shots so you can see how it's done.

• Robert, I would also like to see photos of how you do this as well. Sounds like a great idea but I can't seem to visualize how you do it.

This reply was deleted.