I received notice that I am #1 on a wait list for a Chicago area art fair.  That's all well and good.  What I have a question about is why would this same art fair still be soliciting late applications for the show?  If better work comes in, do I get bumped down the list?  I have another show opportunity at that time and don't want to be left holding an empty bag.  Thoughts please!

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am happy to report that I have been removed from the wait list and have now been accepted to the show.  The production company informed me that, as someone suggested, they wait listed by category and accepted late applications from categories that had not been filled up.  Five shows in the bag and waiting for two more juries.  Summer will be busy.

• I get rejects, wait lists, and more. But I do hate to see that shows are still taking applications when they have already notified people they are on the wait list. That's just greed, plain and simple.

•        Just another wonderful example how artists are regularly ripped off .   Just saying !

• Extended applications are such BS!  It means that in effect there is no deadline, just a period of time where the app fee is cheaper.

• Those extended application things seem to me to be just one more effort by the shows to gather in some extra money .  Perhaps I'm just being paranoid, but it seems as though there are so many more ways to gouge the artist than there used to be: higher jury fees, extra insurance,escalating booth fees, local licenses, etc. Guess I'm just not being a good sport here!

• I remember a while back being  wait listed for an Amy Amdur show.  I called to find out where I was on the wait list and was told to just come on up and wait around the day of the show.  It's a 1500 mile drive for me!  No thanks.  Not playing those games.  Local situation like that or if I'm in the area, maybe.  Otherwise,forget it.

• Every situation is different. It depends on the show. Personally, in your case, I would take the show that is the sure thing. Any show that is still asking for application fees, while you are on the wait list is a red flag. On the other hand, if you have a good relationship with the show director, you may get in. There are factors. If you've done the show before and know you will do well there, you may want to wait. You could call and ask what your chances are.

I like having a wait list. That means there is always a chance that I will get into a show. I just got into the Des Moines show this week off the wait list.

Sometimes timing is everything. I usually wait a while before I call them. If I really want to do an event, a few weeks before the show, I start calling. You have to let them know you really want to do their show. It doesn't always work. Many times it does.

• I've only been wait listed 1 or 2 times in 20 plus years. Both times I declined the wait list. My own feeling about them is I was their second choice not first choice.  It tells me they are not well informed about my medium as well, and I just as soon take my talent elsewhere. Those who waitlist me go off my show list as well. Just a different perspective. 

• Do you ever get rejected from shows?  If you do, do you cross them off your list as well?

• I agree 100% Richard.

This reply was deleted.