Is God telling me something?

After totaling my van(with 260,000 miles) the search for a new(used) one became beat the clock, as we need to leave for 2 Chicago shows mid next week...with a 3 day holiday killing one of those days.... Was God telling me after 25 years to get out of the business???? But NO...a van has been found...all the built-ins removed from the old one and reinstalled...with just a few more things to do to the van I can empty out the storage unit and put it all back in the van and be on my way.....only after watching the horrible weather in the midwest I am nervous anout going...Is there anyway we can win in this business???? Upset when you can't go or don't get in and freaked out when you do and it sucks! Oh how I long for the old days when it was just a question of how much money you would come home with....rather than I hope we cover our expenses......

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Linda, I didn't see the blog so I will reply here and move it if needed.  I have found that the art show business is a roller coaster and it will give you some of the highest highs and lowest lows.  I got a real dose of that last fall.  On Sunday I was awarded a first place ribbon at Disney Festival of the Masters, one of the highs.  I got to hug Mickey, got my picture taken and my name in the newspaper.  On Tuesday I got a rejection notice from a small local show that I do only because it is close to home.  It never was that great for me and if I had to travel for it I wouldn't do it.  But they rejected me!  And then on Thursday I got the rejection from Naples National and that really stung.  At the time I didn't know that we were going to find a house we could afford in Virginia so soon and that I would need those free weekends to pack and move.  It all worked out and as usual I had exactly enough vacation.

On any given weekend, we can be the windshield or we can be the bug.  And it's not personal.  I've learned that the roller coaster always changes up and down.  It is very rarely a reflection on the quality of my art.  Art is by nature subjective.  

• I LIVE for the roller coaster of life....isn't that the adreneline rush we want? I am not afraid of anything in life. Bring it on!

But my life now is out of balance. The intimate moments with my husband seem to revolve down to a business discussion somehow(even if we set up rules); my imagination is used to create, not read or see plays; my friends can not quite understand what I am doing to what they saw was a great life; I have family support but I am asking more of them than what I can give;since my house is my studio, I casn never get away from the business.

We are babies...only 2 years old. Could that be the problem?

• You need to put a mental door on the business. At a specific time, close it. After that , you are not to do business stuff- get some time with husband/family, see a move, go have dinner, go take a walk with the dog, sit on the patio in the sun with a book. Yes the roller coaster can be fun-on occasion, but continually, it will ruin your health, muck up the balance, and eventually- the thrill will overload you. Pace yourself, schedule yourself, and most of all take care of yourself.
  •  Chris is right, Linda, you have to relax and enjoy what you are doing.  If not, theis is the wrong business and a career in the arts is not for everyone. For some the arts is a better avocation than vocation.   Having a career in the arts - any of the arts - has to one that you love and "have" to do.  Yes, as an independent artist you are the business and everything does fall on your shoulders but then again you are your own boss - so if you don't like something, you can change it.  I love what I do and can not think of doing anything else.  Yes, I have to do everything - my husband sets up the tent and takes down the tent. (That's it - but I am happy to have him come with me to shows to do that and to keep me company).  All the business and artistic aspects of the business are on me but I do it at my pace and my way.

I started out as an actress and having a career in acting prepared me for much of the rejection and juggling of the artistic and business sides. (I had to work side jobs to make ends meet mostly in offices - YUK)   My ex worked as an antiques dealer when he wasn't writing or directing for TV - which was often - so I learned about shows and accounting.  I then worked as a Theatre and English teacher of middle school children ( grades 6-8) where I learned patience among other things. and now I make jewelry.  I have loved every part of my journey.  I'll never have lots of money but that is not what is important to me.  Being the best that I can be in what I am doing and enjoying the journey is most important to me.   Have fun with you life & enjoy every minute you can, it goes too fast.

• I thank all of you from that place in your heart you keep for special people. Your advice and support left me in tears.

Yes, I HAVE to create,,,my spirit requires it like a breathe of air.

I responded to this blog because God called me to take this path on my Higher Journey. As with the opening van incident, He has helped me the last three years more times than I can count.

I am passionate about what I am doing aand happy. I would jump out of bed in the morning except I have severe RA.

I think for the first time in my life I fear failure.

I truly have succeeded wildly at every other venture (except bowling! LOL) I did the Ms: modeled, married a millionaire, Mensa, motherhood. When they left the nest I ran up the Corporate ladder. I've had a wild and satisfying life. I've become spiritual and meditate.

But back to fear. Isn't that what stress is? And isn't that why we turn our problems over to a Higher Power?  I seem to do the right things.

I'm used to rejection but who can say that it doesn't sometimes get through to the core?

Could I be too new at this business?

How do you balance a good life and an artisi's life?

• Depends on your definition of a good life.  If a good life means lots of $$ then I am not sure but if a good life means creatively fullfilled then I think an artist's life is where it's at.  Everything in life is a compomise.  I don't think you can have it all but you can have what you need. 
        • And as my husband would say "happiness isn't having what you want, but wanting what you have". I know he is quoting that from someone else, just don't know who- but I think it's pretty accurate!
      • I think I'll start a new blog on that topic.

Please, please come and help me figure this out.

Thanks,

Linda

• I think for type "A" people like my father who just like to have all the t's crossed and i's dotted it's really hard not to be laying in bed at night thinking, "Is there anything else I can do to make this the best it can be?"  I have to say maybe God is trying to tell us something (I promise not to preach) and that is we can't control anything.  We can act like we do and make our best efforts but there is always health, weather, accidents or simple mistakes that could come our way (not to be a downer).  Maybe this new path is teaching us to simply jump into the darkness and trust there is someone greater than ourselves to help us.  And then when it's us that gets that bad diagnosis or surgery or bad weather weekend we might also remember that we sincerely need community.  I know we disagree on here at times but look at those in Missouri right now.  They don't need someone preaching to them or telling them they shouldn't live in a trailer etc..they just need a helping hand.  Maybe when we're out there doing something we love one of those things could be helping our neighbor once in a while.

• My heart (and whatever money I can afford) goes out to the people who have been affected by these storms.  I watch the devastation and see something I don't see on the news. Normal people rushing to the scene with help.  Complete strangers driving hundreds of miles just to lend a hand, or give a hug.  people bringing cases of water, diapers, blankets, food, and chainsaws.

I saw a clip of a man unloading a truck. He had one arm. But that wasn't preventing him from helping.

There was one particular story that struck me. A mom and daughter survived a tornado, and her daughter is a diabetic. She found her insulin, but realized other children may not be so lucky. So she put the word out she had extra insulin for other children if needed.

These people didn't wait around for FEMA to show up. They got to work right away.

Welcome to the real America!

This reply was deleted.