Every year it seems my EZUP booth gets smaller and smaller. Or do other Artist's booths just get larger and larger? 

For awhile now, I've been considering the bump from an EZUP to a Trimline. As we all know, it's cheaper to expand upward over outward. I have reached that point where my body of work is bigger than my EZ setup can accommodate. Moving to the Trimline would allow me to use my Propanel extenders and display a number of more pieces at outdoor shows. I use the extenders at indoors shows and sales always seem to reflect an increase with more work on display, but its hard to determine if it is the taller booth or is it just the show. 

I'm curious if other Artists saw an increase in sales upon upgrading their outdoor booths? With certainty, I know that it will increase my visibility at outdoor shows which should lead to more foot traffic. And it will improve protection from the weather. But I'd love to hear from others about the financial aspect. 

Photo is my current display. 

welshbooth2014.jpg

You need to be a member of Art Fair Insiders to add comments!

Join Art Fair Insiders

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am using an Undercover booth as well. I actually really like the tent but the silver lining on the canopy means its really cold in the tent on cold days and I have to carry around lights and batteries. I've been wanting to do an awning because here in the PNW, I have one or two shows a year where I can count on rain and was thinking an awning would be a good idea. How are you doing yours?

• I have never owned an EZ-Up tent but I do own a top of the line pop-up tent and also a Trimline. The pop up has a tight vinyl top that will not puddle water, extra solid framework and also has vinyl sides and a vinyl awning. As others have said...the most important thing to do is have it weighted properly and use sta-bars.

I have not noticed a difference in sales depending on what tent I use. That is more of a perception by artists and I don't feel the people coming into any tent really care at all. As a wood artist I do not have the need of additional height to display my work...and therefore 7 ft of height is ideal.

With back problems and shoulder problems the Vitabri tent makes life easier for me during set-up and breakdown.

• I doubt that the canopy type or brand  has an influence on sales.   I do think having a carpet has a big influence. Walking on to a carpet when entering a booth gives a classy feeling over walking on concrete or grass.  The feeling is...... " oh boy, its going to cost a bit to buy something in here."  

• The reason I mentioned the awards as I did is because they were given to an artist in an Easy Up.

• I was in Tallahassee for Chain of Parks the year a tornado passed just south of town at 5:15. That was 15 minutes after the show had closed on Saturday night just before the artist reception. I was still in my Easy Up tent with some other folks who jumped in our booth to dodge the torrential rain. Aside from having to push a little water to keep the top from sagging too much, we were fine. Just about that time the booth three booths down from us launched and the fellows art scattered and shattered everywhere. His tent was a Craft Hut. He had already run to Gadsden Art Center to get the jump on the dinner and reception. We informed them as soon as we got there about the situation. 30 minutes later it was announced that we won Best of Show. $2,500. In an Easy Up.

It's mostly the beginner who doesn't consider properly weighting down a tent. I don't think he was a total newbie, either.

2007 was a banner year for me in my Easy Up. I won awards in nearly every show I did and really sold well, too. Won at places like Brookside in Kansas City and Dogwood Festival in Atlanta. Did $8,000 at Ann Arbor Original, but didn't win an award there. A few years later we won Best of Show $2,200 in a small Florida venue and as the reception was closing I bought a used Craft Hut from a 75 year old who was quitting. It hasn't necessarily helped my sales, but the roof doesn't sag very much in big rain since it doesn't hold as much water since it's tighter.

I think sales improve by having better art, price points, and savvy. I think you probably already possess these characteristics judging from a quick peek of your booth. The Trimline might boost you a little, and any boost is a good thing. Barry Bernstein is right about being able to raise the roof beam higher in these type tents. It opens the space. I like that. But my Easy Up wasn't one like yours. It didn't have the network of metal bars under it. It was a cheaper version with an opened up top inside, and one that I liked much better than those with the low metal network like yours.

• I've never talked about this. Part of me believes that we sell better with a Trimline or a Craft Hut because there is a psychological advantage to having a tent that sets up higher, especially with the curved dome top. I think subconsciously the higher ceiling is a more pleasing, more inviting space which leads to better sales. Just my opinion. Pipedream or reality?

• That is why I started this discussion. I do believe the ambience of a Trimline can boost sales. I just don't have any hard data to backup the claim. 

• Should we be delving into the discussion of whether the customer perceives a professional looking booth or one that looks more modest and humble as influence on whether or not they purchase from the artist. Might some see the humble booth as incentive in their judgment of the artist?
  • You cant go wrong with a Trimline.  I have personally gone in the opposite direction. I retired Light Dome after some 25 years and got an EZ UP ( EuroMax).   I'm now doing shows my self after 35 years.  It is way to difficult and time consuming to set up  a Light Dome alone.  With  a EuroMax in 15 minutes its all up including the sides. I'm sure it cant withstand severe weather, rain,  and wind like the old reliable Light Dome, but for $200 I'll throw it in the dumpster and buy another one.   If I cant get into some shows with a EZ up so be it.    My work is not rain sensitive.  I would stick with the best you can buy if I was showing photography or clothes. I now  have my van packed and I'm  on the way home while my neighbors are undoing the Light Domes.

• I agree with what has been said here.

I have multiple tents and types.

My "EZup" Style is an "Undercover." I have the R-2 & R-3 professional. It is great. It has been in shows where the weather became brutal. 5 tents went down. Yet mine stayed great with zero leakage. It felt unstable, had me scared but never failed.

Perhaps this is due to the better build quality. Perhaps because I always weighed it well. Like Barry said, it is great being able to set up and breakdown the tent, by myself in about 15 minutes. Packs small in the truck. I have a couple of these. I've set them up as double booths, at times. They have a reflective extra coating that keeps them substantially cooler in the hot weather. A big difference. The walls zipper at the center and pull back / tie back to the corners. This way if it is wet you do not have to worry about drying them prior to opening up. No awnings available but I created my own, works fine.

I also have a Trimeline. It is, of course, much more substantial. It takes a very long time (Too long) to set up and breakdown, by myself. It is so much heavier. I know it will hold up in the weather much better. In morning openings you might have to wipe down the walls prior to opening so it can be rolled up. I like it's sturdiness, the added height (8' instead of 7'), the feel of strength. It lets a lot more light in.

I HATE it's weight, the time to assemble / setup, the breakdown, the storage space for all those parts.

I use the Flourish mesh walls - Black. They work for all the setups without modification so it is just the tent that gets changed out.

For me the single biggest advantage of the Trimeline.... the added height for display.

Although, even though it has not affected me yet (sound of knocking on wood) the weather / wind proofing is likely the other big difference.

Now the final difference -  - COST. The undercover is a fraction of the cost.

This reply was deleted.